How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my boyfriend move in my house back in Oct 2015.. We

Customer Question

I had my boyfriend move in my house back in Oct 2015.. We had a conversation prior where he stated he rather pay me than his landlord.. When I asked what he paid he state $400.00 a month.. I was fine with that so I agreed to let him move in.. Since he has paid a total of $650.00 with no other household contributions besides general housekeeping. Can i sue him civil court for unpaid rent
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The answer is yes. Verbal agreements are just as enforceable as written agreements. The problem is that without a contract, the verbal agreement often comes down to he said/she said. That is where text messages where he confirms the rent, and/or witnesses, and emails, become important as they help one make their case.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no documentation.. The conversation was in private
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Then it would be a he said/she said scenario. Perhaps it would then be best to get him to admit - via an email or text (or taped telephone conversation) that there was that agreement, and then use that in Court.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!