How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27282
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was unable to pay my rent month. The landlord was granted

Customer Question

I was unable to pay my rent for one month. The landlord was granted a judgment for one month plus fees totaling $1100. Two weeks ago I spoke to landlord and agreed to let me pay in full by end of July. The next day I deposited $500 into his bank account and last Wed. another $300. He just called me that the marshal is on his way to change the locks and throw me out. What happens to my furniture and belongings ? I still have a week to pay him the $300 balance. I have $100 I can give him today and the balance on Sat.when I get my paycheck. Then I would be current on the rent. anything I can do to stop the eviction ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Did you ask him why he is allowing the marshall to proceed and do this when he made an agreement with you saying otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he told me he wanted all the money today and doesn't want to wait another week. He said that I have nothing in writing about our agreement so he wants me out.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. At this time, he is acting in bad faith. If he is going to do this, he 100% needs to return all your money. In addition, you could sue him for any damages suffered, as a result of the Marshall coming today to change the locks and you having to find another place to stay. Moreover, he needs to allow you access to the rental to get your personal property out, since you left it there being under the belief that you had until the end of the month. There was an agreement made between you and the landlord. You paid him and relied on the agreement and he can be held to it. Even though there is nothing in writing, there was a verbal agreement and you can sue him for breaching it and damaged. To actually stop the eviction and Marshall, you would need a court order and have to file an emergency motion with the court. The landlord should step in and advise them to wait and if he does not, then you need to sue and proceed through the court.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help so please just let me know

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 12 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Real Estate Law Questions