Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I was unable to pay my rent month. The landlord was granted

Customer Question
I was unable to pay...
I was unable to pay my rent for one month. The landlord was granted a judgment for one month plus fees totaling $1100. Two weeks ago I spoke to landlord and agreed to let me pay in full by end of July. The next day I deposited $500 into his bank account and last Wed. another $300. He just called me that the marshal is on his way to change the locks and throw me out. What happens to my furniture and belongings ? I still have a week to pay him the $300 balance. I have $100 I can give him today and the balance on Sat.when I get my paycheck. Then I would be current on the rent. anything I can do to stop the eviction ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/26/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RealEstateAnswer

Did you ask him why he is allowing the marshall to proceed and do this when he made an agreement with you saying otherwise?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he told me he wanted all the money today and doesn't want to wait another week. He said that I have nothing in writing about our agreement so he wants me out.

Thank you for the additional information. At this time, he is acting in bad faith. If he is going to do this, he 100% needs to return all your money. In addition, you could sue him for any damages suffered, as a result of the Marshall coming today to change the locks and you having to find another place to stay. Moreover, he needs to allow you access to the rental to get your personal property out, since you left it there being under the belief that you had until the end of the month. There was an agreement made between you and the landlord. You paid him and relied on the agreement and he can be held to it. Even though there is nothing in writing, there was a verbal agreement and you can sue him for breaching it and damaged. To actually stop the eviction and Marshall, you would need a court order and have to file an emergency motion with the court. The landlord should step in and advise them to wait and if he does not, then you need to sue and proceed through the court.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help so please just let me know

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer