How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34414
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rental house in Nevada that my son manages. A

Customer Question

I have a rental house in Nevada that my son manages. A neighbor sent him a letter complaining about drainage from a few years ago and wants me to pay $8K for his retaining wall. The neighbor said a pool overflowed and caused erosion. This is the first I had heard of it. My renter has renters insurance and I wasn't aware of the pool he put up in the back yard. What steps should I take.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
The easiest way to handle this is to let your homeowner's insurance deal with it. It should be covered in your policy and they will negotiate with the neighbor and tender your defense if the neighbor sues.
If the tenant is at fault then they will pursue the tenant for reimbursement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I write an answer back to the neighbor? In reviewing the pictures it doesn't look like there is is any damage. It appears that the neighbor decided to put in a retaining wall and then is trying to get me to pay for it.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You can let the neighbor know that you do not believe that you have any liability for their retaining wall. Avoid getting into specifics.

If they sue then refer it to your insurance company.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.