Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

What is the current law about HOAs restricting political

Customer Question

what is the current law about HOAs restricting political signs on homeowners' private property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** id be happy to help! may i ask where you are located!

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

hi, i'd be happy to help if you are still interested. is there a particular state you are wondering about these laws?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Virginia
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

thank you! id be happy to help! are you just curious if your HOA can restrict the signs you place on your private property? are you wanting the sign to be placed in your front yard or in a window?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A political sign on my yard within my property lines.
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

your HOA is not permitted to ban political signs, however they can place restrictions on them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the restrictions?
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

has your HOA placed restrictions on you specifically and also, in the past have they permitted political signs to be displayed?

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

the only restrictions your HOA could place on your placing a political sign out front would be with the ability to “establish reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions on such property provided such restrictions are necessary to protect a substantial interest” of the association. So this should not be an issue if you are placing a sign out front that does not restrict a substantial interest and the sign is not enormous and causing a nuisance/distraction.

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

does that adequately answer your question? if there is anything further, i would be happy to answer any further questions you have