Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

I'm renting a property family and we are current with are

Customer Question

I'm renting a property for my family and we are current with are rent. Right now I'm disable in a wheel chair and I have my 89 year old mom living with us. My landlord wants us to move out because there trying to sell the home and want us to pack up and leave within a weeks time to stage the home. Our lease expired 2 years ago and I guess it's a month to month thing now? There's no way realistically we can do that and want to know what are rights are. I've researched and found that they have to give us notice by certified mail 30 days from the date we receive it? Were looking now for another place to rent but its very difficult on listings. Were trying to do this without causing any bad blood but there making it difficult as I said because they turned over the property already to a realtor. What can I do in this situation because I'm desperate!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, when it comes to month to month tenancy, the landlord in fact only has to give a written 30 day notice to the tenant of termination of month to month tenancy, and once such termination notice is given, unfortunately, the tenant would have to move out upon expiration of the 30 days or face an eviction through the local court and unfortunately, if an eviction case is filed, it would become public record and could make it difficult to get approved for another rental.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.