Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

Does a quick claim deed between ex spouses need to be signed

Customer Question

does a quick claim deed between ex spouses need to be signed in front a notary or will the signing of a witness such as a daughter work just the same in the state of michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: sees like at the the of our divorce her attorney said that a witness would work for us.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: that is it
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

A deed needs to be recorded to establish its priority to keep a later deed from getting priority due to be recorded first. To be recorded, a deed must be notarized. A witnessed deed is not sufficient. The recording clerk will not accept a deed for recording unless it has been officially notarized.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!