How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55470
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am scheduled to sign that I do not want to buy. The

Customer Question

I am scheduled to sign for property that I do not want to buy. The realtor told me that I could be sued if I do not sign. Please help me. t Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Patricia. You need not worry about the broker; brokers are worried about only one thing generally and that is their commission; as a result, they'll pretty much tell you anything to try to get you to close. You're not going to get sued. Your only risk is the earnest money if you back out, but given that there are issues with the property, you should be able to get your deposit refunded. Even if had no right to terminate and your contract provides for specific performance in the event of default, the fact is that courts simply do not enforce specific performance against buyers. Rather, the courts consider the earnest money as adequate compensation to cover any losses of the seller because the seller still owns the property and can simply sell it to another buyer. Given your facts, you can simply terminate the agreement. Your seller may argue he's entitled to retain the earnest money, but that's your only risk; and, as I mentioned, given your facts, you would be entitled to have it refunded as well. You simply need to send a written notice of termination for cause and demand the refund of your deposit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Real Estate Law Questions