KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

I bought rental property on May 13, 2014. No tax bill was

Customer Question

I bought rental property on May 13, 2014. No tax bill was sent to us the first year(the lender implied it was taken care of at closing) and we ended up having to pay 2 years of tax last year totally approximately $5,000. The taxes are supposed to be about $2,200 per year. This year they are billing $4,500 for the taxes. This is incredibly drastic and unfair and I want to require them to send me a very fair justification before they ruin my investment. Is there something I can do to prevent them from making up huge bills?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am working on your answer and will get right back to you.

Thanks

Kim

Yes, there is something that you can do. You are entitled to see the actual assessment that they did to raise the tax rate. They can't just raise your taxes without going out and inspecting the property. They have to document this, and all those records are public record.

I would start by requesting all public records regarding your property address from the date of your purchase to present. Then take a look at the appraisal. You can get your own appraisal done as well and challenge their assessment. It does not sound right to me, unless they have neglected to do an assessment for many years and then just now decided to do one because there is a new owner. That does sometimes happen.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kim

Hello, this is Kim, the attorney who assisted you with your legal question.

I didn't see any follow up questions for you and this question is still open.

I am online today if you have any questions about the above. If not, please do rank my answer with positive feedback, so that I get credit for my work with you.

Thanks so much and take care,

Kim

Hello, This is Kim, the attorney who assisted you last week.

I see that this question is still open. Please go ahead and rate my answer with positive feedback. The top three ratings will make sure that I get credit for my work with you.

Thanks so much and take care,

Kim