How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive in Ohio, and im renting an home for $700. On june 26th

Customer Question

ive in Ohio, and im renting an home for $700. On june 26th the house was condemned due to the beams holding up the 2 story home were deemed unsafe and illegal. So here i am today and the beam has not been fixed yet. Should i give up and just go in the house and move my things out since it seems to be a lost cause. This is my first time renting and i just dont know what to do. im stressed beacuse i have a 6 year old and this puts me in a tough spot.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am working on answering your question and will get right back to you.



Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear about this situation.

This is so serious that you are legally entitled to either stay in a hotel while the landlord fixes this, and charge that money to the landlord, or to simply move out. Your landlord is responsible for any money that you have to spend to move out, like movers, brokers, etc. and you are entitled to get your deposit back and break your lease immediately.

It is really up to you whether you want to try to wait for this to be fixed. With something like this, it could take some time. You have no idea what problems could come up and maybe it takes 3 months to fix, or maybe it is fixed 3 days from now.

I would talk to the landlord. Make sure you don't pay any rent during this period while you are not able to live there, and ask the landlord to pay for a hotel until it is fixed. See what he says. That could push him to do this quickly because he is losing money every day that he delays. It is your legal right to stay if you want to.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.


Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Kim, the attorney who assisted you with your legal question.

I didn't see any follow up questions for you and this question is still open.

I am online today if you have any questions about the above. If not, please do rank my answer with positive feedback, so that I get credit for my work with you.

Thanks so much and take care,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After moving because it's been a month since moving. How should I proceed? Should I come up with a legal document either by certified letter or notorized, stating that I am leaving? And how do I proceed with getting back my deposit and and funds used for moving?
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

All you need to do is send a letter to the landlord, state the situation, explain that you have vacated and that you are ending the lease because the landlord has violated it by not providing a safe building to live in.

I would include a demand for the deposit, the cost of moving, the cost of a real estate broker if you paid one, and any other damages you had.

I would also give them a deadline to respond and do the letter by certified mail with return receipt. If they don't respond within that deadline, or refuse to cooperate, then you can file a small claims action in court to get your money back. You don't need a lawyer for that and it's pretty inexpensive.


Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I just noticed that this question is still open.

I hope my answer was helpful. Please be sure to rank my answer so that I get credit for my work with you. A positive ranking in the top three would be appreciated.

Thanks and take care,


Related Real Estate Law Questions