Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a few co-op apartments that I bought back in the

Customer Question
I have a few co-op...

I have a few co-op apartments that I bought back in the 1980's as investments and have rented them since my purchase. I never moved in. It was and is open and notorious. The cooperative has known and done all the actions in support of same (changing intercom names, giving mailbox keys, etc..) Recently there is a new mood and the law firm that now represents the cooperative is planning on implementing a new sublet policy restricting subletting to a certain number of years and charging fees etc. The p_lease I believe does not allow for them to restrict years as the language states "shall not unreasonably withhold consent to subletting" and there is no restriction on time. there is case law that supports this " DESOIGNIES V. CORNASESK HOUSE TENANTS' CORP"

• 21 A.D.3d 715 (N.Y. App. Div. 2005). In that case the cooperative lessor had a more restrictive sublet provision but the court stated it did not have the right to just (by board of directors) institute a policy of "x" years etc to subletting

Furthermore they are getting assistance from the sponsor who is not selling any shares but just keeps renting, and has 49% of issued and outstanding shares. I know a case which started dealing with compelling the sponsor to sell shares "511 W. CORP v. JENNIFER REALTY" 98 N.Y.2d 144 (2002) I know the cooperative is attempting to get me. They tried a non judicial foreclosure for arrears of a minor amount of money and did not evict me and now they are trying this. I am thinking of jumping them by starting a shareholders derivative action against the cooperative to compel them to move to make the sponsor sell shares. What decisional law is out there in the first department of Ny that would support my arguement. Next, that the cooperative has never sought to hold me to any sublet policy can I argue a permanent estoppel?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/20/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I am not sure of what you want from me. I just want help

Thank you for your patience. I have read your inquiry and will submit an offer of premium services for your consideration. If you feel the offer is fair and you want to proceed, please click "Accept" and I will have an answer for you within 24 hours. If you would rather wait for another expert, then click the "opt out" button to be taken back to the general pool of experts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Opt out...let another attorney deal with this

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Opt out

Tina, Lawyer