How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need some quick help with a real estate matter. I will

Customer Question

I need some quick help with a real estate matter. I will explain in detail on phone if that is okay.Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Could you tell me just generally what type of real estate issue so I can be sure I'm the proper expert for you? Also, under JustAnswer, a phone call is a premium service does carry an additional charge. If that is acceptable, I'll be happy to extend that option; if not, I'll be happy to help you thru this thread. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying,
My father owned a farm and built a large shop in 1997 and then put two apartments over the shop. My father passed away in 2007 and since that time I have rented out the apts but it has dawned on me now that the property is not zoned for apartments. So that is a real problem. Mostly I do not want to get in any trouble for renting space in a building that is out of zoning code. I have some other related concerns about this but this is the problem. I hope you can offer me a path as to go about resolving this. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also we can do this by phone if you think that would be best as this seems a bit complicated, at least to me. But see what you think.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the apartments are currently rented out which complicates matters. If empty then I would have less of a concern.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for responding. Zoning issues are very city/county specific. Thus, I think you will be better served with an expert in your specific area. Therefore, I am going to opt out to open your question up to all experts so another expert can hopefully timely provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. What someone in your situation wants to do is to request a zoning exemption. This is done on a municipal level, and normally the matter is heard by an administrative panel. If you tell me what city/county you are in, I can provide more information.

But essentially, the zoning exemption application is the way to proceed. And it would be at the panel's discretion on whether to grant it or not (since zoning exemptions are not a "right").

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!