Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a rental property out of state in SC managed by a

Customer Question
real estate management firm. I have...
I have a rental property out of state in SC managed by a real estate management firm.
I have not received rent in 2 months and the property manage will not return my calls
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/18/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

What is it that you would like to have happen here?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no contact with property manager. She never answers phone calls, always not available and does not return phone calls.
I have a non paying tenant and I need this situation remedied as soon as possible.

Ok, at this point, if you aren't local, then your only real recourse is to get a local attorney involved if you don't have anyone else who can go to their office personally to find out what is going on.

.

If you hired an attorney they can then either personally visit the property manager to find out the story or send them a letter threatening to sue them civilly and pursue criminal charges if they have taken your money improperly.

.

I would also see if I could contact the tenant directly and let them know not to pay the rent to the property management company any longer because they are not forwarding it to you and to send it directly to you. I would send that letter, or have the attorney do it, certified mail and regular mail so you have proof of sending it to the tenant.

.

You might have a situation where the property manager is pocketing your rent money for their own use and trying to ignore you as long as they can get away with it. So acting quickly and decisively is your best option to put an end to this.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. To be clear I do not want a membership. This is a one time 50$ consultation. Thanks for your answer.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time. And although I am just an independent contractor on the JustAnswer website, I believe you have to actually sign up for a subscription if you want one. If not, it is just a one time fee.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much

Hello again, did you have any further questions I can help with?

Barrister, Lawyer