Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I want to buy and renovate an old house on a land trust and

Customer Question

I want to buy and renovate an old house on a land trust and will not own the land only the house. Would I be a tenant of the house? Who is responsible for the house as landlord for upkeep and occupancy conditions?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: VT
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Would I be a tenant of the house?

.

If you are buying a house but won't own the land, then you would be a tenant of the land owned by the trust and the house would be your personal property, just like mobile home except it is attached to the ground.

.

Who is responsible for the house as landlord for upkeep and occupancy conditions?

.

You own the house so it is your personal property so you are responsible for it

.

Generally this is not a good idea unless you can get a long term lease on the land, as in 50+ years because if you get a short term lease, like a couple years, then when the lease expires, the trust could simply evict you and anything you put into the house would be lost unless you actually physically removed the house from the land and moved it elsewhere.

.

.

thanks