Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a lease ,commerical, it's in my daughters name and

Customer Question

I have a lease ,commerical, it's in my daughters name and she pasted away the owner knew the property was for me also now the owner wants to raise the rent but it states the rent will remain the same for another 2 years. Although my name is ***** ***** the paperwork can he raise the rent now ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Although my name is ***** ***** the paperwork can he raise the rent now ?

.

No, if this is a fixed term lease, then daughter's estate just "steps into the shoes" of daughter and becomes liable for the lease. Her passing wouldn't void out the lease or allow the landlord to make changes without the estate representative's agreement.

.

Someone will have to open a probate case for daughter to be appointed Administrator of her estate so that they can fight any changes that the landlord tries to make. Unless there is a legally appointed representative for the estate, there is no one who could legally fight the landlord.

.

.

thanks