How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27592
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid a man to buy this house, 4000.00 down and 1000.00 a

Customer Question

I paid a man to buy this house, 4000.00 down and 1000.00 a month for 6 months. A total of 10,000.00. Then I kept asking him for a document so I could take it to a lawyer to have a new document for me and him to sign. mean time I paid the property tax thinking the house was mine. For two years I kept after him to give me something to take it to lawyers. Him kept putting me off. Finally him gave me a paper where he had bought the house from someone else. Not knowing any Lawyers I waiting a few months, then when I found one, I took it to him. Already paid another property tax. I never received a tax notice, he is the one that received all the property tax notices. As I was taking to the lady at the desk I was telling her that I bought this house for my handicap daughter that wanted to live close to me but wanted to be on her own. That the house was gutted and it needed a lot of work. She said oh no don't do any thing to that house intill he signs the papers, he still owns it. So for the next two an half yrs I kept telling him go by and sign the papers. He continued putting me off. Then two weeks ago he came by my house to tell me that I haven't paid the property tax and they have simmons
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify, I thought you shared and said that you were paying the property taxes? Did you stop after you spoke with that lady? Also, did you or your daughter ever live in the home? Why did you give him anything without a signed contract?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty stupid, I trusted him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No never lived in house. It is gutted. No kitchen, bathroom, etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have canceled checks, where I wrote to him. And the document that he gave me
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for the additional information. It is a very tough situation and you 100% will need legal counsel. I am not sure what this man was thinking, taking your money and allowing you to pay the property taxes, all while refusing to sign a contract or sign over title to the home, into your name. You NEVER should have paid him a penny, until he presented a contract for sale, which would make you the legal owner, upon certain conditions being met. In this case, once the full amount was paid ( 10,000), he would then transfer title into your name. Without anything in writing, it is going to be your word against his and if you paid him everything and he still refuses to turn the home over to you, you will have no choice but to sue him. The burden would be on you, as the moving party, to show that there was an agreement, the terms and that you have complied with them. The cancelled checks and documents can be used as evidence to show and support you complied with the agreement and he defrauded you or conned you into something.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. If so, please let me know.

Related Real Estate Law Questions