How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have signed a contract to buy a property and the seller 2

Customer Question

I have signed a contract to buy a property and the seller 2 weeks before closing, states he wants me to sign a release and does not want to sell the house. i have spent two months on bank loan,inspection,appraisal ,etcc,, what is my option?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question. I look forward to providing you with information for educational purposes only.

Expert:  Ellen replied 1 year ago.

You may file an action to force the seller to comply with the terms of the contract and sell the property to you. This is called specific performance. Alternatively, you can file suit for monetary damages to compensate you for your losses

Expert:  Ellen replied 1 year ago.

If you sign the release, you may waive your right to proceed to force the sale or obtain money damages

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I knew that much my self, what is the possibility of wining the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything that I should or should not do, before filing in court? what should i do meanwhile before closing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ellen replied 1 year ago.

You asked me for your options:-)

I can say that typically a court will award monetary damages or force the sale when the seller chooses not to sell according to the terms of the contract.

You may want to take a look at the contract to see if you are entitled to attorney's fees if you file suit against the seller

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long usually this process takes?, I live in rockville maryland
Expert:  Ellen replied 1 year ago.

It can take several months to file suit and obtain relief

Expert:  Ellen replied 1 year ago.

Have I answered your question?

Related Real Estate Law Questions