How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What should I do if my husband passed away, s name is on the

Customer Question

what should I do if my husband passed away, his name is ***** ***** mortgage, and my name is ***** ***** deed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist for informational purposes.

Generally, the the land is deeded to both spouses, in joint tenancy with right of survivorship, then upon the husband's passing, the property automatically passed to the wife without her having to do anything. You don't really have to do anything with the property records, but you can file an affidavit of his passing and file that with the property recorder's office if you choose.

With regard to the mortgage, assuming both of your names are ***** ***** mortgage, you are still a borrower, and still responsible for the payments. Federal law prohibits the lender from calling the entire mortgage due just because one spouse dies.

Has this answered your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** the mortgage...

Related Real Estate Law Questions