How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 19652
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a tenant in an apartment complex. My water is leaving

Customer Question

I am a tenant in an apartment complex. My water is leaving black residue at the water line in the toilet. There is mildew in the toilet tank. Black residue is visible approx 1 week after cleaning. Water is extremely hard. How can I test the water in my apartment to make sure it is safe for consumption. The tap water is cloudy when you fill a glass from the tap. I am concerned for the health of my family. They turned the water off 1 week ago, for 4 hours when it was turned on, it was yellow coming out of the tap. Also the water line in the toilet has a this slimy residue that must be scrubbed hard to remove it. My lease is up the end of this month, I cannot afford to move at this time. I am told that my rent will increase 25$ at the next signing. And there is more.
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: When I first moved in, My apartment had a gas leak which caused management to evacuate our building, and move me to another unit. The gas leak was ongoing for over a week prior to them relocating me. The gas company made 3 visits prior to my relocation. I have a log of complaints against management that I have maintained during my stay here.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact your Town/State water and sewer department about the issue and for testing of the water.

You also need to contact the State's health and environment departments about your problems. Furthermore, you should contact the federal Environmental Protection Agency.

In the meantime, you can use the following link to find EPA approved water testing labs:

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.