How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 19472
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A committee co-chair wrote an email (with a cc to the

Customer Question

A committee co-chair wrote an email (with a cc to the community CAI board) terminating me as a member of the committee, effective immediately, because of opposition to a number of expensive projects, stating that this has led to delays and an unhappy atmosphere at our meetings. There were accusations of me not being a "team player" and unable to adjust to work with other team members etc. Our documents state that only the CAI president has to sole authority to remove a committee member. Is there a case against a volunteer committee chair for 1.) "abuse of authority" to remove a committee member without authority and/or 2.) for slanderous comments toward me by the committee chair that damage my reputation in the community? As a resident volunteer, I pay the same dues as the chair and should have the same right to present my alternate, cost effective ideas (keep dues down) for the betterment of the community. Any opposition was always perceived by the autocratic chair as complaints and being disruptive. Another committee member resigned yesterday due to Chair harassment. As a home owner this his very discouraging. Please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there is a case to be made. Unfortunately, the only way to stop these abuses would be to file lawsuit and ask the Court to intervene.

You may also file defamation suit against the chair. However, in order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory (false and slanderous) statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party ; (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys who handle civil litigation and defamation cases to assist you with your issues:

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.