How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a peace of property s330 of n 990 ft. of w2905 ft.

Customer Question

i have a peace of property s330 of n 990 ft. of w2905 ft . the next lot south of mine is s330 ft. of n 1320 ft.of e165 ft. of w 2905 ft. the question is is there a right of way between them or rd. footage. one county plot says theres access. one says theres a rd. maybe these #s can tell. ANY HELP ????????????????????????
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma.

The county property records control. When the records for one plot of land say there's a road, then that road exists unless or until the property owner buys it back. The same is true if the records say there's access. No one else can come in and say "You don't have access," if the property records say there's a right of way. There's also a concept in the law called "easement by necessity." What that says is, if a person's property is landlocked and they have no ability to access a public road without crossing someone else's land, they get a right to cross that land. So it would also be possible to go to court to get the right of way. But that shouldn't even be necessary since the plots both make reference to it.

It is possible for a right of way to be abandoned through non-use, but that tends to require that the person who has it allows it to become overgrown, and there would have to be alternate access to a road to make that argument.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Related Real Estate Law Questions