Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Condo Law: I purchased a condominium in St. Louis County,

Customer Question
Condo Law: I purchased a condominium...
Condo Law:
I purchased a condominium in St. Louis County, MO. I have lived here a year and have several concerns about the financial management of my investment and the general mechanisms of communication to address needed repairs to my home as well as the jointly owned property structures and streets.
When I moved in, I did not receive an orientation book, a directory of names of my fellow-residents, or the names and contract information for the board members. I was told the name of the management company and I was told I could access the minutes of board meeting online through the management company. The minutes were sometimes not posted or were posted weeks later. I have also learned that the residents rarely attend board meeting although there is no rule against this and I would think such rule would be illegal. (Many residents are old and used to the status quo, however a new group of younger people have begun to move in. We are not familiar nor are we being informed about how thing work.)
• I want to attend board meeting to learn more about how my property is being managed.
• I want to know who the contact people are for various issues with regard to my home and the surrounding property – streets and lights.
If I go to board meeting and am barred what are my rights?
If I request a financial statement to evaluate the solvency of the association and how the money is being spent can I be denied? What are my rights and what is the best way to proceed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/13/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If you are barred from a board meeting you can sue the Association/Board/Property management company for violation the condominium documents and the releveant statutes.

No. The Association must provide you financial documents related to what the financial situation of the Association is.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I'm unclear what it means to sue the Board and Property management company for "violation the condominium documents" (what documents?) and the "relevant statues." (what statues?)

So when the Association is formed, they are formed by documents that are filed with the State (such as a Declaration of Condominium/Association, etc.). There are also statutes (laws) which govern associations and they must abide by.

MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer