How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socallegalwork Your Own Question
socallegalwork, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 144
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker (and Certified Distressed Property Expert), specializing in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socallegalwork is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother just informed me that someone has supposedly

Customer Question

My mother just informed me that someone has supposedly bought the next block which is fenced in and her house is next to it but she was unaware when she started purchasing the house with the land that is fenced in. No one has produced any paperwork nor did she sign any contract. What can she do about it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I may be able to assist you.

Just so I am clear, when your mother purchased her house she was under the impression that the purchase included the fenced in adjacent lot? Now another party has apparently, or is claiming to have, bought that fenced in lot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's correct !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We talked earlier and she said someone came by asking her to move her vehicle and she told them not to come back and she will not move anything unless they produce paperwork pertaining to the claim.
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 1 year ago.

When she first purchased the house, did it go through any form of escrow? Was there any form of title search? Does she still have that documentation? It sounds like she doesn't not have (maybe was never given any such materials).

The first step is to find out exactly what she owns (if she doesn't own the adjoining land and was misled when she purchased her house, then she can perhaps legally pursue the participants in that transaction - the seller, any brokers, etc. - for fraud and other causes of action).

She should be able to confirm what exactly it is she owns through the local county recorder office.

Related Real Estate Law Questions