Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I own commercial property with rights stated as joint

Customer Question
tenants in common with rights...
I own commercial property with rights stated as joint tenants in common with rights of survivorship. If one owner is diagnosed with paraniod schizophrenia does this mean incapacitation leaving me control of the commercial property
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/9/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I own commercial property with rights stated as joint tenants in common with rights of survivorship. If one owner is diagnosed with paraniod schizophrenia does this mean incapacitation leaving me control of the commercial property.

.

No, a property owner's mental illness doesn't result in them giving up their legal rights to any property that they might own. A joint tenancy with rights of survivorship just means that the parties are equal owners of the property and if one of them dies, the survivor becomes the sole owner instantly. But it doesn't have anything to do with an owner's rights while they are still living.

.

.

thanks

Now if the other owner gave you permission to manage the property before they became mentally ill and medically incompetent, then that permission would continue until they were determined to be mentally competent again.

.

.

Barrister, Lawyer