How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Arbitrator
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10259
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know if I can win against NYC housing authority,

Customer Question

I want to know if I can win against NYC housing authority, for a apartment that I've been living in with my step daughter, for 11 months?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

What would be the basis for the complaint?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NYC housing authority is trying to put me out of the apartment I've lived there with my step daughter, paying her rent and she moved out
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

And on what grounds are they trying to remove the tenant - is this via the eviction process?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. She and I went and spoke to the assistant manager, so that I could remain in the apartment, and I was told that I have until the 29 of July to move out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As long as I pay July rent which I've done.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you;

a grievance can be filed here:

These are the reasons they may issue a notice to vacate; failing that the tenant is entitled to remain in the unit:

FOR WHAT REASONS CAN MY TENANCY BE TERMINATED? NYCHA can terminate your tenancy (evict you) for the following reasons: 1. Non-Desirability: Bad conduct (such as use or possession of drugs) by you or anyone living in your apartment or visiting frequently, showing: danger or nuisance to your neighbors, a sex or morals offense in or near a NYCHA project, danger to NYCHA employees, or damage to NYCHA property. 2. Breach of Rules and Regulations: Violation of any NYCHA rule or regulation by you or anyone living in your apartment. In such cases, NYCHA must give you a chance to correct the problem. 3. Chronic Breach of Rules and Regulations: Either (1) the repeated violation by you or anyone living in your apartment of NYCHA rules and regulations or (2) one repetition of a violation of a NYCHA rule or regulation that you previously told NYCHA was corrected. In these situations, NYCHA will NOT give you a second chance to correct the problem. 4. Chronic Delinquency in the Payment of Rent: Frequently paying your rent late, even if it is now paid up. 5. Non-Verifiable Income: Failure, neglect, or refusal to provide proof of your family’s annual income that is acceptable to NYCHA. 6. Assignment or Transfer of Possession: The tenant of record (who signed the lease) has moved out or no longer lives in the apartment, and someone else is living there. 7. Misrepresentation: Purposefully misstating to or hiding from NYCHA a vital fact about your eligibility for admission to or continued occupancy of NYCHA housing, or about your rent.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically, it sounds as if I don't have a chance to stay from what you sent me. I don't have a place to live, I moved in to help her pay the rent because she left her job and housing didn't lower her rent..
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

So this involves an assignment; unfortunately yes, that is grounds for a notice to vacate; the housing subsidy is specific to the original tenant,unfortunately.

If no further questions, kindly rate a 3, 4 of preferably 5 star - thank you.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above;

Thanks for using Just Answer!