Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

State of New Jersey HOA Master Deed By-Law clarification

Customer Question
question. VII. - LIMITATIONS ON USE...
State of New Jersey HOA Master Deed By-Law clarification question.
VII. - LIMITATIONS ON USE OF UNIT AND COMMON ELEMENTS
RESTRICTIONS: The Condomimium is subject to all covenants, restrictions and easements of record and to the following restrictions:
A., B., C. ..
Question regarding D:
NO trailers, tractor, truck (commercial or unlregistered), mobile home, recreation vehicle, BOAT, BOAT TRAILER or motorcycle SHALL BE STORED OR HOUSED ON THE PROPERTY.
Would the above apply to a garage shared by two of the condo units in the building?
One of the owners is storing three wave runners which in State of NJ is a vessel classified as a boat.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The State of New Jersey Department of Department of Community Services (Plannned Real Estate Development Department - Association Regulations Department) confirmed that all items under that Article VII applies to BOTH USE OF UNITS AND COMMON AREAS. The shared garage between 2 of the units falls under "Use of Unit". Is that correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/8/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need an answer today if possible

It is on its way...I am about to type it

It seems pretty clear that when the language states on the "ON THE PROPERTY" it includes (i) the common areas, (ii) the limited common areas, and (iii) the units. Contained within the definition of common elements is reference to property “specifically reserved or limited to a particular unit or group of units,” i.e. limited common elements. The Act defines limited common elements as “those common elements which are for the use of one or more specified units to the exclusion of other units.”N.J.S.A. §46:8B-3(k).

So the shared garage is technically a "limited common element" and not a unit.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer