How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am ready to close on a house, 07/26/2016. The sellers of

Customer Question

i am ready to close on a house, 07/26/2016.
The sellers of the house modified a bathroom by putting in new tile.
They did this without my approval.
The real estate sales agreement clearly states:There shall be no substitutions or replacements of any of the above without the express written agreement of the parties.They are saying that they can leave the tile as is, or put in a fiberglass shower/tub like there was before.What are my legal rights? Can I ask for more?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see file for additional information and pictures
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While the technical breach of the terms of the contract have occurred, it is not sufficient to allow you to back out of the sale. However, you have the choice of closing on the property and suing for breach of contract and seek money damages for the harm done, or you may demand that they return the bathroom to the same condition that it was when you entered into the contract.

I'm not sure what you are looking for when you ask can you ask for more. There is certainly no harm in asking for more than you could get from a court---but under the law you are entitled to the cost to bring the bathroom back to the condition it, or to ask that the sellers do that before closing.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,