How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2247
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a neighbor that has been harassing since 2009.

Customer Question

i have a neighbor that has been harassing since 2009. claiming my attached property is causing leaks onto her porch. this is just one of her complaints. she has left numerous notes in my mailbox telling me to fix one thing or another. she has called my place of business and threatened to call city council to tell them i will not comply with her. i work for the city of trenton, Administration Dept. i told her that if she called my place of business i would sue her for defamation. the former owner lived here for 40 years and the mess i walked into (visible & not so visible) cost me a fortune. the area she complains of is a new roof on the front porch which was totally replaced less than 2 years ago. she claimed the roof was rotted and there wasn't one piece of rotted wood. i need to have an attorney send her a letter telling her to stop the harassment and calls to my place of business. can you advise as to anything else i can do. family say to ignore her. please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry you are dealing with this situation. First, yes if you can ignore her that is one plan of action as she has no valid argument or standing to bring any type of action against you. However, ignoring a person who is unreasonable and may not be mentally or emotionally stable is another thing. I would suggest that you retain a local attorney to write a letter to her demanding that she ceased and desist her harassment and if she fails to do so you will have no other choice but to seek a court order instructing her to cease and desist and if she fails to comply with this order she can be held in contempt of court which can be either jail or fee or both.

Another option is to see if she will attend a community mediation session with you so that a third party mediator can listen to the two of you and come to a resolution (basically her signing an agreement to knock it off).

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't think this information was needed since i knew this to begin with. when i wrote to you i was hoping for something i didn't know. i would like a full credit for this advise. not that you aren't good, simply because hiring a local attorney is basic. i thought you guys give advise and proceed (if affordable) to the next step rather than shop around for an attorney. i'm not trying to get away with anything here. i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. will a credit be possible.
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

I understand no worries. Yes all customers are entitled to refund if they are not 100% satisfied.

One quick thing, another option you have is to write a cease and desist letter yourself and see if this will help resolve the problem. Here is a link to a form letter template that you can download and send to your unruly neighbor:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just credit my account please. i'll need to hire an attorney. thanks
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

I have forwarded to customer service. You may wish to contact them as well. Thank you. Hope you resolve your issue and sorry I was only able to confirm your notion that its going to take a lawyer to hopefully stop this non-sense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will credit show