How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4074
Experience:  30 years of experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Unit in beach dad was tenant .I lived there with m

Customer Question

Unit in long beach dad was tenant .I lived there with him part time to care for driver license is his address father passed April 21. I paid may rent.and tried to pay June rent. Check bounced but I didn't know until jun22 when I tried to enter apt and locks changed.I called police they said get a locksmith and filed private person arrest form .was trying to pack fathers items for 2 days but myself and my children were being harassed by landlord.I flew them to NY with family and flew back to long beach meanwhile he changed locks again and put a abandonment paper on door with some itemization of home contents on door.called police again said its a civil matter and to get another locksmith.because I am not on lease but I did pay rent after dads death is this legal?no 24 hour notice to enter?entered numerous times.changed locks 2 an abandonment paper even though I spoke to him on same date as paper was dated??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You can file a complaint in Superior Court or Small Claims Court for wrongful eviction. It is illegal for a landlord to engage in self help to remove someone living in a unit even if they are not on the lease.

This link describes the process that must be followed regarding evictions. The landlord is trying to subvert that process.

You may be entitled to damages for the costs of the locksmith as well as punitive damages.

Here is a sample complaint that you can follow to prepare your own:

California has an excellent self help system for people representing themselves. For information on that see here:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,