Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

My girlfriend and I went swimming in a gated apartment

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I went swimming in a gated apartment complex. The gate has a huge gap in it and we went in, knowing they have a pool. Sheriffs deputies show up and issue us a citations for misdemeanor trespassing. This is Louisiana, what kind of fines are we looking at?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

For a first trespassing offense, there is a minimum fine of $100, with a maximum fine of $500. La. Rev. Stat., Section 14.63. If you're willing to plead guilty and do not have a criminal record, there's a chance you'll be able to convince the district attorney to give you the minimum fine. You'll have to pay a $2 crime stoppers assessment, plus other court costs, which vary by county. The way to ask the DA for a lower fine is to go in to the courthouse on the date stated on the ticket you'll get in the mail. Or, if you agree to the amount they're asking for, you can pay the ticket and not have to go to court at all.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?