Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

My waterfront property has a bulkhead but my neighbor does

Customer Question

my waterfront property has a bulkhead but my neighbor does not. they have lost roughly 30 feet of land and now the side of my bulkhead is exposed to tidal elements and is leaning slightly towards them , where does their land ownership start/stop and can i legally put some rip -rap down the exposed side . we are in jackson county in texas
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating to close out this question when you are done. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier.

Answer will follow in the pane below in a short while….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Basically, shoreline erosion adversely affects the neighbor's freehold. The erosion changes his ownership in that he loses title to the eroded portion of his land. So, you will need to look at a survey of the land to see what he and you now own. You may want to read this for more info. I am not finding any Texas law that places a duty on the neighbor to protect your land from natural erosion. This in turn leads me to believe that you will need his permission to put down the rip-rap if it is going to be on his property.