How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live on the top floor of a condominium. While I was out of

Customer Question

I live on the top floor of a condominium. While I was out of town the washer hose failed causing water damage to 3 common hallways and 10 units. I realize my homeowner's insurance will not cover property damage outside my unit bounds. I have $100K liability coverage under the homeowner's insurance and an umbrella liability. Is it likely claims could be covered under liability?
Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, most homeowner's policies I have seen would cover this under the liability section. What I would suggest you consider is hiring a local lawyer to send them the initial notice of claim letter letting them know what happened and telling them that if they want an adjuster to take pictures, tec they need to send them out.

There is no "legal" reason to have a lawyer at this point but realistically insurance companies make their money from being able to keep premiums and not pay claims so the more protection you have the better. The lawyer will be able to phrase the letter n such a way that it protects you, puts them on the hook, and will be good evidence should you ever have to sue the insurance company.

The cost for this service should be minimal, the amount will depend on a great many variables, and you want to use a local lawyer so that the insurance company know they are prepare to file a lawsuit if it becomes necessary.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Related Real Estate Law Questions