Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in a 55+ community and just received my new lease and

Customer Question
was raised $100.00 per month...
I live in a 55+ community and just received my new lease and was raised $100.00 per month. Is there a regulation on how much a senior living in a senior community can be raised per year. I really appreciate your help on this matter. Thank you in advance
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/3/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, unless the increase is due to your race, religion, ethnicity, etc., which violates the Fair Housing Act, there is no limit on what a landlord may charge for rent or increase the rent. They may charge whatever the market will bear or even decline to renew at all.

Of course, you are free to counteroffer and negotiate, but there is no law which states what a landlord may charge in a non rent controlled unit.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Loren, Lawyer