Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Can my boss who is also my landlord take money out of my

Customer Question
paycheck each week without consulting...
Can my boss who is also my landlord take money out of my paycheck each week without consulting with me first? And he refuses to give me my paycheck as well therefore I was/am under the assumption that he has to pay me first and then I give him what I prefer and if I don't then I am aware I could get an eviction notice??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/3/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

You are correct; the employer cannot make any unauthorized deduction: here is the relevant statute:

195-2.1 Prohibited Practices (a) Wage deductions. No employer shall make any deductions from wages except those that fall within the following four categories: (1) Any deductions made in accordance with any law, rule or regulation issued by any governmental agency; (2) Deductions specified by, or similar to those specified by, section 193 of the Labor Law, authorized by, and for the benefit of, the employee; (3) Deductions for the recovery of overpayments made in accordance with this Part; and (4) Deductions for the repayment of wage advances made in accordance with this Part. (b) Separate transactions. No employer shall make any charge against wages, or require an employee to make any payment by separate transaction unless such charge or payment is permitted as a deduction from wages under this Part or is permitted or required under any provision of a current collective bargaining agreement.

Such action can be reported to the Labor Board

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

checking in on the above;

thank you for using Just Answer!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator