How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34043
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I signed a quick claim deed to a house I shared with my

Customer Question

If I signed a quick claim deed to a house I shared with my sister she didn't file it yet and it happened back in 1989 I was going through a bad divorce and my sister kept on bugging me to sign it so my husband wouldn't get it in the divorce. She said she would keep it and if I need to ever stay in the house I can and she said she would give the quick claim deed back after but now she's going to sign it to someone else can I do anything
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You may be able to make a claim of constructive trust to justify injunctive relief to stop your sister from doing anything with the deed other than signing it back to you.

You would need to prove the intent of the transfer was to provide protection of the property and that your sister agreed to return the property to you. In other words, she was acting as a trustee, not an owner.

Equitable remedies involve complex litigation and are beyond the abilities of most laypersons proceeding pro se.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have i answered your question?