Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I have a sales contract that calls % commission, OK. The

Customer Question

I have a sales contract that calls for 6% commission, OK. The home sold. Earnest money was deposited, $40,000.00. Buyer could not close because they did not have funds.
The RE agent says they get 50% of earnest money. I think they should just get 6%.
Who's right?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you clarify something for me? When you say "the home sold," I'm presuming that you mean that you had a contract to sell it, but then the buyer did not actually close the sale....is that correct? Thank you!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to let you know that I will be away at a meeting for the next hour or so. Should you follow up while I’m away, I will address it immediately upon my return. Thank you in advance for your patience. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had a contract closing date was yesterday they shoed up at closing and said the did not have the money
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for following up and your patience! Your real estate agent is in dream land. Agents are entitled to a commission under 2 circumstances depending upon the listing contract....either when the transaction closes or in the instance where the agent finds a willing and able buyer and the seller fails to close. Neither of these instances exist in your situation and as a result the agent is not entitled to anything. Here, the buyer is in default and the seller (NOT the agent) is entitled to the earnest money.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!