How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a small non-profit religious organization in Santa

Customer Question

Hello. We are a small non-profit religious organization in Santa Cruz, CA. Adjacent to our temple is a large house. The non-profit owns both buildings. As a revenue source, we rent out rooms in our house on a month-to-month agreement. My question is this: Are we required to provide kitchen access to those renting rooms from us? May I include in the lease agreement "No Kitchen Access"? Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

To be rented as a residential unit, the property must have access to a kitchen.

This is a "habitability" requirement under CA Landlord/tenant law (see: