Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I have a townhouse, which I leased on 12/1/15 (formal

Customer Question

I have a townhouse, which I leased on 12/1/15 (formal leasing agreement signed) unfortunately the property falled into foreclouse on 4/1/16, the minute knew I notified the tenants,they agree to switch the term to month to month(amendment signed). in June they didn't pay the rent and just 12 hours ago they called me to tell me they are moving out today and that they are expecting most of the deposit back or they will sue me
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Since they signed an amendment to go month to month, you are legally entitled to one month's notice.

You have the legal right to enforce that and retain the security deposit for the notice period rent. If they sue, they sue, but you are entitled to retain the deposit for the unpaid rent. This is true even with a foreclosure.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.