How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney 1 Your Own Question
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2577
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attorney 1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a landlord break a lease if she decides to move back to

Customer Question

Can a landlord break a lease if she decides to move back to her property
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

The landlord cannot break the lease, even if she decides she would like to move back to the property. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it and breaking the lease would constitute and unlawful eviction unless the tenant willingly agrees to leave. In fact no court would award an eviction judgment to a landlord who tries to evict to move to the property. The landlord could be sued in court and would have no chance of winning. If the property falls under rent control jurisdiction, there could be severe penalties in addition to damages that would be awarded to the tenant by the court.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue to provide assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!


Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. I'm here to help.


Attorney 1