How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41503
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just helped my 84 year old mother purchase a home. I

Customer Question

I just helped my 84 year old mother purchase a home. I co-signed for the mortgage and we are joint tenants with right survivorship. If she were to go into a nursing home what if anything would happen to her home? We both live in NJ.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That should have been joint tenants with right of survivorship. I was wondering if she would need to sell her home or would she need to reimburse Medicaid or Medicare?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the fragmented thoughts. Would she need to reimburse Medicaid or Medicare for nursing home care if she were to sell her home?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Nothing would happen here in NJ. Medicaid would exempt it as her homestead and require her to sign statement that if able she intends to return home--rarely does that happen.Anyway this home passes by right of survivorship deed outside probate , the estate recovery have no claim if there is no probate.

This should not be a problem, when she deceases you take death certificate to the county deed records and file it with them and the tax assessor to make sure it is changed to your name only here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the chance to help here.If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.

Related Real Estate Law Questions