How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116702
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I formed an LLC with my son to purchase a condo in Beach.

Customer Question

I formed an LLC with my son to purchase a condo in Virginia Beach. The LLC has expired and is no longer a legal entity. I am selling the condo. Am I going to have a problem with the title or selling the property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You are going to have to bring the LLC current and active in order for it to sell the property under the LLC. Of course, if you do not bring it active again, then the property reverts to being held by you and your son as a partnership and you both have to sign and will both get a 1099 for your share of the profits for capital gains. So you have the option to reactivate the LLC and sell as the LLC where you can have more deductions or you can sell with both you and your son signing as partners and getting a 1099 to pay your share of any taxes due.

Related Real Estate Law Questions