How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2247
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighbors are placing large metal containers of 10 foot

Customer Question

My neighbors are placing large metal containers of 10 foot high bamboo right on the property line between my house & their driveway. The strip of property I own that is being ruined is about 18 inches wide & fifty feet long. My view from both bedrooms is destroyed, the fresh air is blocked by dusty, ugly bamboo, & the bamboo is a magnet for rats. How can I get them to stop? Protesting has not helped. Is what they are doing legal? They have already ruined one side of my picket fence by piling dirt & plants onto the ground next to my fence, causing it to rot & lean outward. They have shown a lack of respect for my property by placing wood chips on this strip of land next to my house, without my knowledge or consent. Please tell me how to make them stop ruining my property and destroying my enjoyment of the outdoors by destroying my view & blocking my bedrooms from fresh clean air & light. Thank you.
***** ***** *****
San Rafael CA
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation and your neighbors being unreasonable. Unfortunately, when neighbors are behaving like this you are left with very limited options when you have exhausted all attempts to reason with them. However, you have the right and a valid claim to bring them to court based on a private nuisance and interference with your use and enjoyment of your property. This would include any damages in addition to a court order being issued requiring them to clean up the area and prevent them from further action.

This matters can be contentious but if they won't negotiate you really do not have a choice unless you decide you can live with their behavior.

Here is a link to the State Bar of California Lawyer Referral Service that can assist you with locating a lawyer in your area to retain for a private nuisance/tort litigation matter:

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I realize this was not the answer you were hoping to receive however I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons). I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!