Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Does have a statute relating to Private Road Maintenance that will satisfy the FNMA loan requirement?

Customer Question
Does Virginia have a statute...
Does Virginia have a statute relating to Private Road Maintenance that will satisfy the FNMA loan requirement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/28/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier. Finally, please remember to assign a feedback rating to close out the question.

Answer will follow in the pane below in a short while….

Answer:

No. At this link you will see that a bill that speaks to this was initiated in the house but it never became law. So, a loan subject to FNMA regulations requires all homeowners on a private driveway or easement to sign a private road maintenance agreement. According to FNMA, if a written agreement cannot be obtained, “the lender must indemnify Fannie Mae for any losses or expenses it may incur due to the physical condition of the street or in order to establish and/or access thereto.”

Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time and we can close out this question. Thank you.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer