Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

Does have a statute relating to Private Road Maintenance

Customer Question

Does Virginia have a statute relating to Private Road Maintenance that will satisfy the FNMA loan requirement?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier. Finally, please remember to assign a feedback rating to close out the question.

Answer will follow in the pane below in a short while….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Answer:

No. At this link you will see that a bill that speaks to this was initiated in the house but it never became law. So, a loan subject to FNMA regulations requires all homeowners on a private driveway or easement to sign a private road maintenance agreement. According to FNMA, if a written agreement cannot be obtained, “the lender must indemnify Fannie Mae for any losses or expenses it may incur due to the physical condition of the street or in order to establish and/or access thereto.”

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time and we can close out this question. Thank you.