How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience in RE Law, including LL/Tenant, contractor disputes, comm'l prop. issues
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The title company failed to gives a check at closing overage

Customer Question

The title company failed to gives a check at closing for the overage amount we deposited for earnest money into the escrow account. By law how long do they have to gets the money? Are the in violation of a statute for failure to give it to us at closing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


The title company has thirty days post closing to completely settle out all matters on the HUD 1 settlement sheet. If you do not have the money within thirty days of the closing you should file a complaint with the Real Estate licensing division in your state (you should be able to find the agency online if you perform a search -- each state calls it something different such as "Real Estate Board", etc. but there is an oversight state agency in every state).


I hope that helps to clarify matters for you? Please let me know if you have any further questions. IF not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be reimbursed for my time spent assisting you this evening. We are not compensated for providing assistance unless you press a positive rating above. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!