Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in RE Law, including LL/Tenant, contractor disputes, comm'l prop. issues
20355756

Recently, I was having my dryer ducts cleaned maintenance

Customer Question

Recently, I was having my dryer ducts cleaned for routine maintenance & was told that they had become disconnected and, therefore, no longer were venting to the outside of my condo unit. Unfortunately, the ducts are located in the ceiling between the first and second floor of my unit so the repairs are extremely expensive since the current duct material is not up to code so everything needs to be replaced. I brought it to my condo association's attention and was told that the repairs would be my responsibility according to our condo by-laws which I believe are unclear. Also, I told them that there may be other units with a similar problem which could cause mold and potentially a fire hazard. I need legal advice so I know how to proceed.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

Generally speaking, any items inside the walls that service an individual unit are usually the responsibility of the unit owner unless those wires/ducts etc service more than one unit, in which case the repairs should be split among the units serviced. However, you state that your condo by-laws are unclear -- does it mention this and what does it say that you believe to be unclear?

-

MARY