How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What makes an out building a legal rental in California?

Customer Question

What makes an out building a legal rental in California?
What makes a out building a legal rental in California
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, happy to assist.

There are so many legal considerations that there is no easy answer here, but I will do my best to try to send you in the right direction.

The first consideration is zoning. Does your property allow more livable space per square foot of property? Is it zoned to allow rental of a unit or only for a single family? You can find these answers in your local zoning code, or you can go to the zoning office and ask them.

Next, you need to figure out if it is large enough to be a legal livable space. That is again according to local code. You definitely need to means of egress, which means at least a door to enter, and either another door or a window. You will need a bathroom that meets all the codes for plumbing and electrical, and a kitchen that meets all those codes too. The ceiling height has to be right.

So all these figures are particular to your town or city. But before I looked into any of that, I would check first on the zoning. If zoning says no then your only option would be to try to get a variance, which is difficult to get.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. I should be online for another half hour or so today, and back tomorrow.



Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am still awaiting a response from you. This question is still open and I need to close it in order to get paid for my time with you.

Please ask me any follow up questions, or close out the question by providing positive feedback.

Thank you


Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I haven't heard back from you. I answered your question above. If you don't have any follow up questions, please help me out by closing the question with positive feedback.

If not, the system may keep your money and I won't get paid for my work with you.

Thanks so much


Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, on June 22nd I took a lot of time to provide you with a legal answer to your question.

I have heard no response, and your question is still open. Which means I don't get paid for my time, and the system may keep your money.

Please close the question with positive feedback so I get credit for my work with you.

Thank you!


Related Real Estate Law Questions