Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We purchases a house in California and when we read the

Customer Question
title it stated that also...
We purchases a house in California and when we read the title it stated that also own an easement for drainage on our neighbors northerly 16 feet of property. About a year before we purchased the our house the neighbor build a pool house on the easement. What rights do we have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good afternoon. I am Loren, and I look forward to assisting you.

If the neighbor is interfering with use of the easement then you can sue them to enforce the terms of the easement.

So, it is not, necessarily, improper or unlawful to add improvements on the drainage easement unless it interferes with your use. If it does you can demand they remove the improvement interfering with your lawful usage. If they refuse then you will have to sue to enforce your easement.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do you decided when a drainage easement interferes with the use. Since the building is there the water can't run into that area. The easement is on a downward slop so that we can drain on to their property.
If the water can not drain then the building is interfering with the usage and if they do not move the building then you can sue.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Loren, Lawyer