Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am living in a home my grandpa owns he wanting to sell it

Customer Question
to be buy rent to...
I am living in a home my grandpa owns he wanting to sell it to be buy rent to own contract but ther is things that need to be fixed so it is livable for has . we are not on any contract at all but my aunts and others are doing his contract for him missing with are deal and making has liable for everything even if not agree with what can I do to keep them from interfering with the contract?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. In the end, your aunts have the right to tell your grandfather their opinions. They have free speech to tell him what they believe, i.e. whether what he wants to do is a good idea or not.

You can send a letter threatening to sue for interference with an advantageous business relationship. The elements of a cause of action for tortious interference with an advantageous business relationship are (2) defendant's knowledge of the existence of the possible contract; (3) defendant's intentional inducement of breach of the the possible contract; (4) the absence of justification; and (5) damages resulting from defendant's wrongful inducement of the breach. See Fields v. Cummins Emp. Fed. Credit Union, 540 NE 2d 631 - Ind: Court of Appeals, 4th Dist. 1989 (internal citations omitted).

This would be a weak case however, since they do have a right to their opinion, but the letter may scare them enough to keep away, regardless, if they do not call the bluff.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law