Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I have been able to pay my hoa fee I owe like 1500 in April

Customer Question

I have been able to pay my hoa fee I owe like 1500 in April I paid 500 and was trying to pay other 500 found out they sent me to court by the secretary they never I form me am on dialysis fell behind can they take my condo or can I pay them
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It depends on the specific HOA. Most of them will accept the payment but some of them tack on a bunch of extra fees, etc.

What I'd suggest you do is hire a local attorney to write a letter to them for you and enclose your check. The attorney can point out that you are on dialysis, that you've been trying to pay, and then allege things like they failed to give proper notice, etc. Many times the lawyer can get them to back off and just accept you money and drop the rest of it and the lawyer won't charge you much just for writing the letter. If you have other legal work that needs to be done like a will, a power of attorney, etc. then the lawyer may just throw the letter in for free if he does the rest of the work.

If they don't get paid they can file a lien and try to take the condo though. HOAs have a lot of power.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.