Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I have made a cash offer to purchase a single family home in

Customer Question

I have made a cash offer to purchase a single family home in California and it has been accepted. I have been pre-qualified for the amount I need to purchase the home. I would rather go through normal financing with the bank that pre-qualified me than to use cash. Can I ask the seller if they will consider this change? What are my rights as to canceling the contract? Is there a 24 hour grace period on this contract as there is when purchasing a car?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Can I ask the seller if they will consider this change?

You can ask. However, they do not have to agree.

What are my rights as to canceling the contract? Is there a 24 hour grace period on this contract as there is when purchasing a car?

No, I am afraid not. Massachusetts has no such exception to contracts for real estate (see HERE). So this is governed by the contract and if the contract allows you to cancel, you can. However, if it does not, then the buyer can keep the earnest money, sue for specific performance, or both.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.