Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Several months ago, I had to bring a tenant to NC Small Claims Court for serious rental arears.

Customer Question
The judgment went to me...
Several months ago, I had to bring a tenant to NC Small Claims Court for serious rental arears. The judgment went to me ($3150) and the woman, her mother, the mother's "significant other" were given 10 days to get out. The significant other took out a loan to bring the rental bill up to date. At this time the woman moved out and left the care of her three children to her mother and mom's significant other. I negotiated a month to month lease/rental agreement with mom's significant other with a target date for them to move out on or about June 1-7 or once they found suitable quarters. The woman reconciled with her husband and moved the children in with her husband's father, where she and her husband were living. All their clothes and other things were left in the house. I gave her until the 18th of June tyo have all her things removed from the house. I sent she and her husband several text messages and two letters informing them of the dates they had to meet or the things in the house would be disposed of. Today, two days before their go/no go date I received a whiny letter from the husband asking why I hadn't "talked" with them to solve the "problem. I feel that I have more than met my responsibilities. Can I charge them for storage of their "junk", clothes, etc. Mick O'Donnell
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/17/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

NC statutes give you the right to demand in writing that the personal property be removed within 7 days. If they do not remove the property you can consider it abandoned and dispose of it. If they want to reclaim it you can charge for the expense of storing it and any other expense you may incur.

Since you have given the notice, you can dispose of the property or demand they reimburse you for storage.

Loren, Lawyer